Monday, February 18, 2008

free time finally.

Well it seems as though I finally have some time to relax. The beach was a lot of fun yesterday. The man who said I was a temptation to mankind first walked up and kissed my hand. I've been wearing a ring on my left hand to discourage things like that from happening. He noticed the ring and asked who my husband was. A guy from New York was sitting at our table and so he claimed me. The man then looked at Zack (the New Yorker) and said in his thick Ghanaian accent," Your wife is like an electric current!" Our table of course burst into laughter at this. Poor Zack has been the husband to about 8 girls now. I saw him today and he joked that this would be illegal back home. I'm sporting 10 different tan lines now after spending so much time in the sun.

We will be traveling to Cape Coast this weekend to visit the castles and stay the night. Should be fun.

I'm thinking about getting a bike. There is a group of us that might be taking an 80 mile bike trip. (Travis, quit laughing.) Actually my calf muscles are starting to show like they never have before. I walk about 5 miles a day under the African sun. I'm going to be pumped and tan when I get home! ha. Oh...and corn-rowed. I'm getting my hair braided today or tomorrow. It's my birthday gift to myself. It's so hot and humid here that my hair forgot that it is curly. All it knows to do is frizz and poof. I don't really care if I look like that white girl who is trying too hard. At least I'm not getting dreads.

My roommate has not arrived yet, although my neighbors roommate got here yesterday and said she is friends with her. I'm just happy she has a name I can pronounce (Cassondra), and I'm hoping she brings a mini fridge. Now that the ISEP orientation is over we are all having to fend for ourselves when it comes to food. We all go to the night market by our Ish (dorm) and get egg sandwiches for lunch and dinner, then usually the Bush Canteen (another outdoor market) for some sort of rice dinner.

Well, I think I'm going to sign off for now.

The bug bite count is well over 10.

3 comments:

Lucy said...

I'm jealous! I'd love to see Cape Coast Castle--such a fascinating and horrible time in history.

Kristi~Leigh said...

Happy Birthday! Maybe you can have some sort of special food as your birhtday cake. Sounds like you are getting adjusted. Yay for braids. They are probably prettier than dreads. I think it would be cool if you got a bike. Though that sounds like an exhausting bike trip. Have fun at the Cape Coast. I hope everything is going great!

wellnetix said...

Hey Kim!
Morgan here...
I saw your article in the East Tennessean! I am so glad that you are keeping us all up to date on your studies and travels.
Ghana sounds such a foreign place and you are so brave to try something so different.

I want to see a picture of your braids btw.

Mo