Tuesday, February 5, 2008

6 days to go!

Less than a week until I leave! I'm getting more and more excited, even though it's starting to get stressful getting everything in order. Thank goodness my mom is on top of things. I have this horrible tendancy to procrastinate and put things aside until later. Unfortunately you can't do that when you're planning to move abroad for 4 months.

We went shopping today and bought some shoes that I will need for long walks across campus to my classes. My grandmother from California called while we were in the store. She happens to own the largest number of shoes of any person I have ever met. "Oh you're shoe shopping!" she said. "What kind of shoes are you getting?!" "No heels, Noni...sorry." Who says being in your late 20's [cough cough] means you shouldn't be stylin'? Much to her dismay, I'm more of the practical type. I like shoes that will get me where I need to go without feeling like I need foot replacement surgery by the time I get there. Although, I must give Noni props...she is stylin', even in her late 20's.

I also bought some luggage. I'm about to get out all the things I will be taking to Ghana to see if I have enough room in the two suitcases. I'm trying out this "packing light" thing. We'll see how that goes. I won't need extra room for hair straighteners and blow dryers, so that will leave some space. It's going to be an au naturel 4 months, that's for sure. I'm looking forward to it though.

I've had a lot of one-on-one time with my piano the past couple of days. When I'm at ETSU I have to walk to the music building to practice, so it's really nice having my old piano right here to play when I so desire. It's got me thinking about whether or not there will be a piano at UG. I would imagine that there is. Hopefully I will be able to practice when I'm there. When life gets tough, or I'm just having a bad day, the piano is the most therapeutic object I have ever found. Well, that, and a pen. I guess I just have to put my creative energy toward something in order to get my mind untangled.

Anyway, I have a lot to do. I guess I should quit procrastinating. Hey, they say admitting you have a problem is the first step...

1 comment:

Kristi~Leigh said...

Good Luck! John and I are both rooting for you to make this trip more successful than those other students choosing to take study abroad trips to those romantic European colleges. We know that you will learn a lot. I am excited to learn about Ghana through your words. E-mail me any time you just need to chat. WE Love you!