Friday, May 2, 2008

Thank you!






Just wanted to take a minute to thank everyone who helped out with my fundraiser. Thanks to Travis for doing a fundraiser at ETSU and also to the Kappa Sigma's who helped him. It really means a lot to me! Thank you also to my dad who raised money in Columbus. I'd also like to thank the academy for making this possible...okay, anyway. THANK YOU!

I'm not posting the total yet because money is still slowly coming in. The more I can raise, the better.

Today I went to the orphanage and hung out with the kids for the first time in a couple of weeks. I've been sick with a cold and so I've been avoiding the orphanage so I wouldn't spread my sickness to all the kids. Today I brought a big bag of bubble gum with me. They went crazy over the bubble gum! I talked with Madame Cella and had her make appointments with an electrician and a plumber to come in and give me an estimate to fix the broken fan in the girls room and the malfunctioning faucet in the bathroom. They are going to come give her the estimate first so that I don't get quoted the "Obruni price," but I will be present to personally pay both men for their services. I'm also going to see about adding a few more fans in the rooms, depending on how much money I can raise. Madame said she needs diapers, so I will purchase some on Monday and bring them to her, using the first bit of the fundraiser money. Anyway, it felt great to hang out with the kids again. I promised them that I would bring them more bubble gum on Monday.

Well, it's May 2nd, and I'm finally starting to get used to Africa. In fact, I think the culture shock when I get back to the states will be more intense than when I first arrived in Ghana. I'll be home in 52 days, but who's counting. I'm lucky to know what day it is here. Tomorrow I'm possibly going to Winneba for one of the largest festivals of the year. Two tribes come together for a deer hunt, and whoever catches the first deer with his bare hands has to sacrifice it the next morning. I think that's how it goes anyway. I don't think I'll be around for the sacrificing part, but it will be interesting to watch the two tribes come together for the hunt. Anyway, I'm still dirty from the orphanage so I'm going to shower before I meet up with some friends for falafels at Max Mart (one of the few very westernized restaurants in the area). Thanks once again to everyone who helped...and don't forget that the fundraiser isn't over yet! If you didn't get to stop by the Kappa Sigma table on Tuesday, it isn't too late! Just mail me a check to my mom's house. Make sure the checks are made out to me, as my mom will be putting the money in my account. Thanks so much!

Kimberly Foli
525 Timberline Dr.
Lenoir City, TN 37772

No comments: