Thursday, May 29, 2008

How To Do It Yourself in Ghana

My book's title: How To Do It Yourself in Ghana.

Last night, I gave myself a hair cut. It's the second such cut I've had since coming to Ghana 4 months ago. My roommate giggled histerically as I sat indian style on the floor, looking into a broken mirror and snipping off uneven sections of my hair. I know my mother is cringing right now. I thought about cutting it really short because I've never had short hair before, but ultimately decided against it. I need to at least be able to put my hair in a pony tail.

Then, today I hand washed my clothes. This is something I haven't done since my first week here. I decided early on that it would be a better idea for me to just take my clothes over to ISH 2 and have Seth (the laundry boy) wash them in the machine. But today, due to a little insufficient money scare, I decided to hand wash my clothes. Once again, Cassandra appeared with a camera, laughing hysterically as I scrubbed filthy socks and wash cloths. I don't know what she'll do in a couple of weeks when she doesn't have a silly obruni around to entertain her...

No comments: