Friday, May 16, 2008

Blessing







A new baby arrived at the orphanage this week. He is a little under 2 weeks old and was abandoned by his mother in Accra shortly after his birth. The police brought him to Peace and Love earlier in the week. Madame Cella has named him Blessing, and he definitely is. This pint-sized little guy had me running all over the Accra greater region today looking for medicine and pedialyte. He has jaundice and some sort of head infection. I found some medicine but still didn't feel very comfortable leaving him, so I took him to the hospital tonight. He's been doing fine the past few hours, but I still didn't feel good about leaving him. Unfortunately the hospital I went to didn't have the technology needed to help him. The nurse also told me that if I took him to another hospital, they probably wouldn't admit him because I didn't have papers from the orphanage. So tomorrow morning I will be heading out to the correct hospital with Madame Cella in tow. I hope no one is opposed to me using some of the fundraiser money toward his medical bills, if there are any.

Before I went to the orphanage today, I stopped in Madina and purchased a lot of things they need. My friend Grace came with me to help out. I'll post all the prices tomorrow. Too tired to get out all the receipts and add everything up right now. Also, the electrician was there today installing the fans! There are now 2 fans in both of the girls rooms, 1 fan in the nursery, and soon-to-be 2 fans in the boys room! I asked Mameya, an 8 year old girl who lives there, if she was excited about the fans. She nodded her head and smiled from ear-to-ear as she skipped around her room. So thank you everyone who contribuated to the fundraiser!!

I'll update on here tomorrow after I get back from the hospital with Blessing.

No comments: