Sunday, March 15, 2009

Not so much peace and love at the orphanage...

The e-mails have been pouring in lately, so I decided to go ahead and update everyone on what's going on at Peace and Love. The details I'm getting have been varied, so I'm not sure what exactly is going on. But from what I understand, earlier this year (late January-early February) the Peace and Love Orphanage was closed down because of abuse. They evidently had a food shortage and when some of the children were removed, it was discovered that a 6 month old baby boy was sodomized several times by an 8-year-old boy. I've also heard that some other children had been raped and the oldest victim was 18th months old. I'm quite certain that baby boy was Blessing, a fact that has caused me much grief. The children have been moved to the Kinder Paradise orphanage in Prampram, the Osu Children's Home in Osu and Beacon House in Legon.

Because of all of the things going on, I've decided to postpone my trip until next summer. This will allow me to plan accordingly with the changes as well as raise more money. If anyone has any questions or more information about this, please e-mail me at kimberly.foli@yahoo.com.

Some links to news articles about it: http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=157347

http://allafrica.com/stories/200902060813.html

peace & love,
Kimberly

No comments: